Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:40:42 +0100
From:      Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>
To:        "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipw3945 problems

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Paul B. Mahol <onemda@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/4/09, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been experiencing some weird behavior with the ipw3945 on my laptop
> > running FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE. When running on AC the card works as
> expected,
> > but when running unplugged the interface keeps going down and up and
> down. I
> > get ~10 consecutive pings before it goes down.
> >
> > The networks I have tested are encrypted with some WPA protocol.
> >
> > When starting on battery there are also some other strange behavior,
> there
> > are some lock-ups in the gui and xorg uses some 14% cpu @1.2GHz doing
> > nothing, When the mouse has been idle for some seconds it takes a bit of
> > movement to activate again. After a plug and unplug of the AC everything
> > seems to work as it is supposed to.
> >
> > I realize this isn't very much to go on... Any logs that would help?
> >
> > The laptop in question is a Lenovo Thinkpad t61p.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Andreas Nilsson
> >

> Are you using powerd? Perhaps CPU cx states are changed?
>
> --
> Paul

I am using powerd, and CPU cx states are probably beeing changed. I set the
corresponding tunables to allow the CPUs (cores) to reach C3. Before I
started using C3 on a regular basis I did some tesing and I didn't notice
any difference in connectivity.

When running on AC the connection works for a while ( a random amount of
time ) , but then the carrier is lost. When running in school I  get really
low transfer speed, somewhere around 200Kb/s from a computer in a room next
door. When running on linux I get around 1+Mb/s from the same computer.

Best regards
Andreas Nilsson