Date:      Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:06:46 +0900
From:      Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chmod -R g+w /usr/ports?

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:23:39 +0200
Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch> wrote

> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 07:12:30PM +0900, Joel wrote:
> > I'm sure this is a flamewar kind of question. I did at least search the
> > ports archive for "chmod".
> >
> > So, here's my probably shallow analysis:
> >
> > My general admin user is a member of wheel. The ports tree is all group
> > wheel. Therefore,
> >
> >     chmod -R g+w /usr/ports
> >
> > and I can at least make without being root.
> >
> > What am I missing, besides the obvious -- make install won't fly without
> > su or sudo?
>
> you're missing WRKDIRPREFIX

Thanks, t.

Does that mean that if the port honors WRKDIRPREFIX, I can even
make install without switching to root? No?

Actually, what I'm trying to ask about is the advisability of opening
the ports tree to writes from the group, if I make sure the only member
of wheel is the admin user I use for installs. (I hardly make sense to
myself sometimes.)

--
Joel Rees   <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   $B3t<02q<R%G%8%3%`(B

Don't mean to be dense, I was just born that way.