Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:22:13 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        developers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reminder:  Just 7 days till 4.2 code freeze!

I'm sending this to the -stable list as well since a number of people
not on the developers list have expressed questions about the schedule
for FreeBSD 4.2.

As scheduled, we will enter code freeze on the RELENG_4 branch of src
on November 1st.  Any ports or docs freezes are still up to the
respective *meisters (Satoshi/Nik) to schedule and I'm sure they'll
make their own announcements when the time comes.

The final build and "split" of packages for 4.2 will also be due on
November 7th, after which time no new packages will be accepted for
inclusion with the release.  I'm calling this one early because
integration testing between packages and the binary distribution has
traditionally suffered due to the package building and segregation
being essentially outside my control and generally added in at the
very last minute, after which testing becomes pretty much academic.

I'll also be releasing a full 4.2 release candidate on November 8th
which I hope that everyone can try to test in a timely fashion since
I'll also assume that no problems with it exist and it can be released
"as is" if I don't get any significant failure reports.  I realize
that only a week's testing is a bit short for people, but the
releng4.freebsd.org snapshot server will also be steadily cranking out
releases the entire time and it's also my hope that those who wish to
get in early on the testing can do installs from the snapshot server
and get reports in even earlier.  There should be no functional
differences between the release candidate image and the snapshot done
on the same day except for the availability of an ISO image since I'll
also be refreshing the packages tree on releng4.freebsd.org on a
regular basis all through the testing period.

I look forward to making this release a particularly good one and will
appreciate any and all help you all can give me during this period.

Thanks!

- Jordan