Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 20:42:23 PDT
From:      "Beth Arnold" <beth_arnold@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem problems

I just installed FreeBSD for the first time and can't get my modem to
work.  It is a USR Sportster 33.6 modem without Plug and Play support
that works fine under Windows NT.  I am using version 2.2.2 of FreeBSD.
I have tried putting it on all different com ports and at different IRQ
settings.  Originally, I used the default settings on the modem.  Com 2
IRQ 3.  That didn't work so I enabled the sio2 and sio3 ports.  I used
the sio2 default (0x3e8-0x3ef, IRQ 5).  I then changed the jumpers on
the modem to the com3 irq 5 settings.  I tried com4, irq 5.  There are
no conflicts.  Everything looks ok at boot.

ex:  On com 4, IRQ 5 the sio thing looks like:

     sio3 at 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 5 on isa
     sio3: type 16550A

I always have the same problem

I start user process ppp and then type "term".  It looks like it is
working, but when I type "AT" or other modem commands nothing happens.
The AT doesn't appear on the screen, the modem doesn't say or do
anything.   Does "ifconfig: interface ppp0 does not exist" during boot
mean anything?

BTW, how do I get rid of that annoying "login: login_getclass: unknown
class 'root'" message when I log in?

Thank you,

Beth

I am not gay, communist, or a spammer.  If you don't know what I mean
don't worry about it.