Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 19:41:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> >>
> >> There are a few of those around here too, but it's kinda hard to get
> >> realistic number off them, as they're rather busy most of the time.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, can a FreeBSD machine handle as big of a load as the Alpha?
>
> You really ought to stop and read what you just asked, and put the
> question properly; perhaps :
>
>  "What sort of Alpha will my P90 compare to?"

	You are right about that..

> The answer is, I dunno.  Alpha boxes scale rather better, but that's
> because they're designed as servers, not PC's.

	Hmmm, what about machines in terms like SUN's, HP's will the P90
compare to since the Alpha is a fast machine.

> > 	I mean on Intel PCI Chipsets since even ftp.cdrom.com only has
> > 128 megs of RAM and you need to use swap somehow even on servers since I
> > haven't really seen anyone with a server with more the 256 megs of memory
> > yet...
>
> That just means you haven't been around very long 8) I can still remember
> what it used to feel like as a newbie talking about those sorts of numbers 8)

	I know some machines can do it but I mean the PC is still limited =)

> Anyone who does big models of any sort uses huge amounts of memory,
> as Rod already observed.

	That's true but who would actually need a gig of ram?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center