Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:21:58 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail.ru>
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Xscreensaver and GNOME

On 02/13/02 22:19, "Doug Barton" <DougB@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Ade,

Hi Doug,

> Your change is way too intrusive. I should have been more clear,
> or reviewed the patches first, or something. Before I revert it, can you
> please describe _why_ the xml files need to change directories based on
> whether gnome is installed or not? That's going to be a pita to maintain.

That's what the xscreensaver code does itself (if --enable-gnome is
defined).  If the previous version was built with GNOME support, it would
fail 'make package', something that wasn't picked up sooner for some reason.

> Also, there was absolutely no reason to change the sed version of the
> PTHREAD_LIBS change in the Makefile to perl.

Lots quicker, plenty of prior sed->perl changes in Makefiles, and the
changes can be made in-place.  Feel free to back out the post-patch bit if
you wish.

> Finally, why did you remove the malloc.h change?

Eh?

post-patch:
        @${PERL} -pi -e 's|-lpthread|${PTHREAD_LIBS}|g' ${WRKSRC}/configure
        @find ${WRKSRC} -name "*.[ch]" | xargs ${PERL} -pi -e \
                's|malloc\.h|stdlib.h|g'

It's there??

I think perhaps there is some confusion going on.  Sobomax committed an
update to x11/xscreensaver that did not pass the GNOME/non-GNOME packaging
tests, and was not a part of the patchball that was produced on the
gnome-list.  Indeed, this particular commit made things worse, hence the fix
to actually make the port work again.

> I'm willing to entertain arguments for the need to move the xml
> files around, but this can of worms is exactly why I was resistant to
> including the gnome stuff in the first place.

I'm confused by this.  It's not any patches that FreeBSD is making that
moves the xml files around.  It's the source code itself, xscreensaver.  I
can certainly patch around it, but that may require extra intrusive work,
since gnomecontrolcenter is expecting to find things in certain places.

Regards,
    -aDe