Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:26:33 +0200
From:      "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd test matrix

Mike Hoskins wrote:
> Is there a FreeBSD "test matrix"?  I'm thinking of a page, likely
> db-backed, where people could post hardware specs, kernel configs,
> build success/failures, etc.  I'd see something like this being most
> useful during the typical -RELEASE cycle.  (I.e. RC3 comes along and
> people have a db to search for results they'll likely see on their
> hardware.)  I imagine this already exists as an internal QA tool, if not
> publicly, but wasn't able to find anything after a quick search.

Having such a beast would be perfect. But a lot of problems are
involved: Such a tool must be developed or adapted and maintained. And
collecting data in such a way is not enough. You need a good and easy to
understand reporting tool. And at least you need volunteers which have
hardware and time and are willing to share such resources.

A small step in this direction of 'continious integration' could be the
use of mozillas thinderbox. I think it would be a great step forward.

BTW, are the any tests for the base system to check what all tools works
properly?

Bye

Oliver