Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 18:55:13 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How much to pay my ISP for my own Internet domain ?

Greg Lehey wrote:
> >>                - DNS/SMTP configuration:   USD 214
>
> This seems ridiculously high.  What do they need to do?
>
> 1.  Add a DNS zone.  Say, garcia.org.  The entry looks like:
>
>     zone "garcia.org" {
>         type slave;
>         file "db.garcia.org";
>         masters {192.168.168.192};
>     };
>
>     That's *all* they need to do.  You do the rest.
>
> 2.  Add your domain name to /etc/sendmail.cw:
>
>     garcia.org
>
> And the want $214 for *that*?

If I was to offer, I'm sure you take it. :-)

> >         I don't know how important this might be, but I think they
> > are running mainly Linux and perhaps some Windows NT.
>
> You need to find this out.

My ISP hasn't learned yet about this. After 5 am one morning, their mail
server ate my email account. When I called them after the offices
opened, I was informed that they had the rename the files in my mailbox.
I wanted to get it at 160 messages (1 per file). By the time I could, it
was > 200. And they wonder why they need a quad pentium 400 for a news
server.

--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>