Date:      Sun,  2 Aug 1998 14:32:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        "Daniel Lee" <dlee731@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about two NICs

Daniel Lee writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 >    I have a problem regarding of configurating two network cards
 > on my FreeBSD 2.2.7.  The network cards are NE2000, and 3c509
 > and i have recompiled the Kernel and successfully detect both
 > NIC's as ed0 and ep0 respectively.
 >
 >    I have no problem ifconfig ed0 to 10.10.10.3, but when i tried
 > to ifconfig ep0 to 10.10.10.5, there is an error which says
 >
 > >> ifconfig: ioctrl(SIOCAIFADDR): File exist
 >
 >   it doesn't matter whether I ifconfig ed0 first or ep0 first, the
 > first configured network card always can ifconfig, and there is
 > always a problem configuring the second one.

You ifconfig'ed without specifying a netmask, correct ?
Then a netmask of 0xffffff00 is assumed in your case (depends on the
nature of the IP-address IIRC; have a look at "man route")
Applying a netmask of 0xffffff00 to the IP-addresses 10.10.10.3
and 10.10.10.5 gives the same network. Now ifconfig complains that
you want to assign the same network to different devices.
Try to give an explicit "netmask" argument to ifconfig.

Malte.