Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 21:30:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, bmah@cs.berkeley.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

> Host, protocol could be encoded in the port number.

<picks self up off floor>

You have *got* to be kidding!

>    > It would be nice to pull out the rewriting stuff into loadable
>    > rule sets.
>
>    It would be nicer to not need them.
>
> Not an option, though, is it?

It is for a real proxy.  8-).

>    client default route: server on local net
>    server default route: modem
>    internal local net route: depends on packet destination
>    (internal local net == net which only exists as a tunnel)
>
>    client packet -> local net
>    local net -> server
>    server local packet -> gateway
>    gateway -> tunnel device internal local net
>    internal local net -> socks client (on server)
>    socks client (on server) -> socks server (on server)
>    socks server (on server) -> socks proxy socket on default route
>
> A bit redundant and baroque, but if the components are coming
> off-the-shelf, it might be an economical implementation...
> I think I understand the scheme now, and the tunnel device and
> the general-purpose socks client seem to be the unimplemented
> components, yes?

The tunnel device is already there.

The socks client can be hacked out of SLiRP or user mode PPP (there
are two clients you'd like -- you'd prefer to have socks clients
coming in normally).

> Hmm... it would seem worthwhile to find out *how* Linux does
> MTU discovery through a masquerade, or perhaps more appositely,
> *in*what*sense* it does so.

Yes, since this was my primary objection on the basis of RFC's;
the other was classless routing.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---