Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 03:43:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFilter?

On 14-Apr-99 Thomas Uhrfelt wrote:

> I already bought the 'Building Internet Firewalls' and its a good book, and
> I got the theoretic side of building a firewall pretty much nailed down.
> What I am missing is FreeBSD specific things + IPFilter/NAT things. I am
> new to the FreeBSD community and can't find any good documentation covering
> these. Neither is the IPFilter package filled with any "good" newcomer
> docs. I really think IPFilter and IPNat should be covered in the handbook
> since its a kernel option nowdays.
>
> Do you have any links for good FreeBSD+IPFilter pages?

If you read the FAQ, and follow question 10.6. Does FreeBSD support NAT or
Masquerading, it has a link to the natd manpage:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?natd.

The section "Running NATD" gives step by step instructions on getting NAT up
and running. For manpages in general, you can go to
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?manpath=FreeBSD+3.1-RELEASE

I believe that you can use ipfw ('man ipfw' at the URL above) to do the same
stuff as IPFilter.

> Regards,
>
> Thomas Uhrfelt

---