Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2018 17:02:03 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bind to port <1024 in jail

Am 20.08.2018 um 16:59 schrieb Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>:
>=20
> 20.08.2018 21:47, Stefan Bethke wrote:
>=20
>> I have a Go program (acme-dns) that wants to bind 53, 80, and 443, =
and I=E2=80=99d rather have it run as a non-privileged user.  The =
program doesn=E2=80=99t provide a facility to drop privs after binding =
the ports. I=E2=80=99m planning to run it in a jail.
>>=20
>> After some googling, it appears that a couple of years ago I should =
have been able to do:
>> sysctl net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh=3D0
>> and allow all processes to bind to =E2=80=9Elow=E2=80=9C ports. This =
does not work in my jails on a 11-stable host.
>>=20
>> $ sudo sysctl net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh=3D0
>> net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh: 1023
>> sysctl: net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh=3D0: Operation not =
permitted
>>=20
>> Securelevel should not interfere:
>> $ sysctl kern.securelevel
>> kern.securelevel: -1
>>=20
>> Is there a way to allow regular processes to bind to low ports?
>=20
> Yes. Just use mac_portacl kernel module: kldload mac_portacl
>=20
> Once loaded, it duplicates net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh =
protection
> with its own security.mac.portacl.port_high, so it's safe to disable
> "reservedhigh" for whole system by running sysctl =
net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh=3D0
> for host.
>=20
> The trick is that mac_portacl provides a way to selectively give =
permission for non-root UID
> to bind low ports:
>=20
> =
security.mac.portacl.rules=3Duid:88:tcp:80,uid:88:tcp:443,uid:53:tcp:53,ui=
d:53:udp:53
>=20
> It works just fine for a host and I use it for name servers utilizing =
port 53
> for a box with dynamically created interfaces, so it may bind the port =
for distinct IP addresses
> after it dropped privilegies when new interface is created and get new =
IP assigned.
>=20
> I have not tried it for a jails, though. Please try and respond.

Thanks, but do I understand correctly that the =
security.mac.portacl.rules are system-wide and not per-jail?

I=E2=80=99m running ~10 jails on this host, and I don=E2=80=99t want to =
allow all of them to bind to low ports.

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811