Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 00:49:29 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, jcwells@u.washington.edu, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

At 10:40 PM 11/1/98 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
>Terry Lambert wrote:
>>
>> > That makes sense.  It's not like it's going to kill anyone to throw
>> > together some install tools.  After all, it's a good plug for their
product
>> > as well to have support for FreeBSD..
>>
>> The install tools should be thrown together *by* FreeBSD people,
>> and *given* to the vendor, for non-native binaries.
>>
>> Branding at all should *require* a FreeBSD "install presence".
>
>I think the discussion has evolved beyond this point.  The general
>consensus now seems to be will have a web page of "works in progress"
>that includes applications currently known to work on FreeBSD, but
>which do not yet qualify for the logo status because they don't yet
>have a relatively goof-proof installer.
>
>We've also come to a rough consensus that the installer required for
>the "Works with" (or whatever we call it) logo may be supplied by the
>vendor OR by FreeBSD volunteers; the existence of the installer is
>far more important than who created.  We also feel that vendors should
>be encouraged to develop FreeBSD installers.  ;^)
>
>I think we're ready to move forward with this; if anyone has any
>strong disagreements please voice them.  This proposal, once fully
>developed, should be run by the core team for their comment as well.
>
>--
>       "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>
>Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
>http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com

Well I've got a question namely.. I think after all of the revision (2 or 3
logo classes, etc), that there should be a recap of what actually has been
established.

But from what I've seen and recollected.. I haven't had any reason to
disagree anyway.  It's just a lot of mail that's streamed through here
regarding the topic lately.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998