Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:28:33 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.7 and suspend or sleep

I have (had?) a 2.2.7 system from the CD on a Dell Latitude 486-100.
The power supply became unplugged and it appears to have suspended
or something similar when the batery died.  So far, so good.

However, when I got it power again and woke it up, it paniced saying
a block on the disk was bad (a block with a large negative value,
unsigned it would be way beyond the end of the disk).  Then it
tried to reboot and fails with the message:
   Can't find file boot.config
   Can't find file boot.help
When I press return at the boot: prompt, I get:
   Can't find kernel

I have never tried to make this machine sleep while using 2.2.7.  2.2.6 was
destroyed in a similar manner on this machine when I closed the lid.  Older
versions of FreeBSD went to sleep with no problems.  I had planned at some
point of looking into the problem, but never had time to deal with the damage
that might occur (maybe I've got the opportunity now :-).

Can someone tell me what device to try to fsck to recover what I
can (if I can recover anything)?  This machine was configured with
a single partition in ``dangerously dedicated'' mode.  Booting with
a rescue floppy (Sorry, no CD on this ancient beast) I could not
find anything in /mnt2/dev which seemed to contain a filesystem.

Is there a kernel or other config I missed relating to power management that
says, ``don't clobber the filesystem when you go to sleep''?  :-)

Luckily, my last backup was made a couple of hours before the
machine died, and I'm restoring to another machine as I write this.

Kenneth