Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:55:26 -0400
From:      "Matthew L. Creech" <gte733p@prism.gatech.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sshd core dump

I looked around for some info. on this subject but couldn't find
any.  I cvsup'ed my system and rebuilt yesterday.  Made world,
installed world, made & installed kernel, everything was flawless.
Today I tried to ssh into my machine and found out I couldn't do
it.  It prompts for a password, but then stops with a "connection
closed" message.  I tried again with ssh -v and got this message,
which seemed to be where it terminates.

debug1: channel 0: is dead
debug1: channel_free: channel 0: status: The following connections
are open:
  #0 client-session (t4 r0 i8/0 o128/0 fd -1/-1)

debug1: channel_free: channel 0: dettaching channel user
Connection to enoch.resnet.gatech.edu closed.

I then checked my log file to see what the deal was, and found this
line:

Oct  2 22:42:16 Enoch /Enoch: pid 891 (sshd), uid 0: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)

This seemed pretty strange to me, so I checked out the sshd config
file (I hadn't updated that as I didn't want to lose my options and
I assumed they were compatible).  I tried the default config file
and it worked fine!  The only different option was my "UseLogin"
option, which I have set to true (so I can take advantage of login
classes).  Sure enough, disabling that option caused the server to
work just dandy.  Is this a known problem that I just couldn't find
anything about?  I didn't see a PR on this issue.  I can get it to
work fine with the "UseLogin" option enabled, but I'd like to be
able to use it and dumping core doesn't exactly seem like
appropriate behavior, whether the option's supported or not.  :)
Any ideas?  Thanks

--
Matthew L. Creech