Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:49:37 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lisa Besko <besko@msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sunfire X2200 ipfw and bge issues

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 03:19:19PM -0400, Lisa Besko wrote:
> We have a new Sunfire X2200 and when I load 6.2 stable on it ipfw will
> not load on boot.  After the system boots I can do a kldload ipfw and
> get it working.
>
> This system is also rebooting every time I plug the ethernet cable into
> the bge0 port on the system.  The NVE ports don't show up at all.
>
> Any suggestions on what is going on and how to fix it?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm afraid I'm going to have to
> run some other OS than FreeBSD on this system if I can't get it working.

First, please do not reply to existing/non-relevant threads to start a
new discussion on an unrelated subject.  (You replied to a thread about
freebsd-update problems.)  I have removed the In-Reply-To header in
hopes that this will become a separate thread.

Second, what are your related /etc/rc.conf entries for ipfw?  They
should be named along the lines of firewall_*.

Thirdly, if you could provide the output from dmesg that's relevant
to the bge0 device and the associated mii device, output from
pciconf -lv that pertains to the Broadcom device(s), and what your
interrupt tables look like (vmstat -i will 'sort of' show this, but it
doesn't show every device associated with an IRQ; it'll usually show
one then append a "+" to it), then this would be useful.

Also, a build time of your kernel + world would be useful too.  uname -a
and the timestamp of something like /rescue/ls would suffice for world.