Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:57:44 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have a problem with some AMD processors?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 06:10:09PM +1030, Greg Lehey stood up and spoke:
> I've been using AMD processors almost exclusively in my main work
> machines for over 4 years, and I've been very happy with them.  I'm
> currently running a K6/233, a K6/333, an Athlon 750, a Duron 850 and
> an Athlon XP 1700.  Last August, though, I bought a machine which gave
> me a lot of trouble, the Duron 850 mentioned above.  I found that it
> would freeze for no apparent reason.  I established that it wasn't the
> memory by taking the memory of another machine and running it like
> that; it made no difference.  I ended up also changing the motherboard
> and the processor, but the hangs continued.   I could expect a hang
> within 8 hours when doing 'make release'

Using a Duron processor, it is likely that you have the 686B as a
Southbridge. I've read a little about the problem with that Southbridge
yesterday, and indeed, the machine locking up is one thing that has been
reported in conjunction with that chip (although the information on most
websites deal with the bahavior of the Southbridge under Windows...)

Another thing I read is that for a short time, VIA obviously shipped a few
faulty Southbridges that would not work properly except if their core
voltage gets increased by avout 0.5 V or something. It's been said that
these chips were only sold to OEMs and not landed in boards that were
actually sold to customers directly, but who knows!

Generally, I've also been using AMD for many years. I think their
processors are quite good, but the folks making the chipsets and mainboards
are - well - sometimes plain idiots. A lot of stories about problems with
Socket A boards can be found all over the web. Here's what I've been
through earlier this year:

I bought an AMD Athlon 1000 Mhz and a Chaintech board. After assembling the
stuff, it just didn't work. Nothing. So I went to the place of purchase and
got my mainboard replaced (I kept the CPU). After reassembling my machine
with the new board, it *would* work, but after three hours, it would
suddenly reboot, and then reboot over and over again when the BIOS passes
control to the operating system. After three such reboots, I turned the
machine off, and were not able to turn it on again. It just sat there,
totally dead. I then got my board exchanged a second time, and the new
board's been running fine ever since then.

Now, I have found a lot of similar stories on the web. I guess some
mainboard manufacturer's (and even VIA as a chipset manufacturer) seem to
care very little about quality assurance. That's actually sad: AMD's best
processors aren't worth a dime if the components they depend on are cheap
crap.

As a side note: I have bought numeros board from Epox and never had a
single problem with them, so in my opionion, Epox (together with ASUS) is
probably one of the companies I would recommend people to buy boards from,
but Chaintech and other cheapies should probably be avoided...

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany