Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:58:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>, stesin@gu.net, ulf@Lamb.net, jhs@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, serious@FreeBSD.org, commercial@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> [SNIP]

> Yet Linux, SCO, Solaris, and UnixWare all have license manager
> software, and you guys insisting on ethnic purity inre: the
> network interface is succeeding in doing nothing other than making
> FreeBSD a less attractive commercial platform.
>
> Unless that's your ultimate goal, it seems pretty stupid to put
> forth arguments against instead of arguments for.

I agree, and though I'm new to the FreeBSD / Unix world, it's impossible
as a young programmer not to be scared by Microsoft's bid to rule the
networking world and eliminate Unix -- and they will succceed unless
viable *commercial* alternatives exist. I love my FreeBSD box more than
any other OS I've ever used, and I'd love nothing more than to be able to
Work on FreeBSD projects instead of NT. But right now FreeBSD doesn't pay,
cause it's not accepted in the commercial world, and that's where the jobs
and money comes from.

Any move to make FreeBSD more mainstream in the commercial world I support
- it's the best OS, and it should be the OS I program on. Sure, I hate
license managers too, but they are a part of the real world and I think
the whole "good enough" policy Terry mentioned makes perfect sense. We
might not be able to create a "perfect" LM on a PC, but I just want
anything that works reasonably well. Anything to enable me to program on
FreeBSD and get paid at the same time :-)

cya,
-Mark

| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch