Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:30:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 961006-SNAP comments

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Charles Henrich wrote:

> Why are we forcing people who probably have no clue to go mucking with the
> device table?

Because this marvelous PC architecture we have often requires it.
Except for people who use only the hardware and software that
came installed on there machine, just about every PC user will at
some point confront IRQs and the like, or they will pay someone
else to.

If we try and hide the issue, a fair number of people will reach
a dead end and give up before they get started.  This snapshot
represent a first approach at confronting the issue directly.
I'll agree that it needs to be refined, but considering we can't
change the PC architecture, its the best direction to go.

Don't be so anxious to throw out the idea just because its new
and doesn't solve a problem you have.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================