Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2021 14:16:53 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
Cc:        "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boost versions

Hi!

[...]
> > > It looks like a major undertaking!

> Why is that?
> If I look at what is in phabricator, the largest part is diffs on the
> plist?

Getting the port to build is one thing.

> There used to be several versions of Boost in parallel.

Yes. I have no idea how easy that would be.

The bigger part is, as you described:

> So perhaps that is the best way to avoid having to deal with ABI/API
> breakage...
> After that it is up to the maintainers of the dependant packages to
> update their package and start using boost-1.75.

There is the implicit assumption that a patch that updates
boost for all the dependent ports should also provide fixes
if those ports fail to build after the update. That is
the major task.

> Or am I too simple in thinking this?

No.

The normal way would be to provide the patch, testbuild all the
depends, list the broken ports in the PR and then a small group of
folks can try to fix them one by one.

--
pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                    Now what ?