Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:03:20 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
Cc:        eT <eT@post.com>, Hackers FreeBSD <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: changing root device to ...

Cillian Sharkey scribbled this message on Aug 12:
> > > is the system still booting off the IDE disk (if present) ?
> >
> > Yes.  But not from the SCSI
>
> You can try setting the BIOS to boot from the SCSI disk which should
> do the trick..unless you have a crappy BIOS that doesn't let you do
> that.. :(

another trick is to not include your IDE disks in the bios config...
FreeBSD will still probe and detect ide disks even when the bios doesn't
know about them, unlike floppy drives...

I used to boot off a scsi drive w/ an idea drive when my bios didn't have
more than a A, C, CDROM options for boot...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson