Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:29:09 -0500
From:      Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
To:        Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: openldap pwd/auth broken after upgrade to 4.6-STABLE

Mike Gratton wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Has anyone else encountered problems with OpenLDAP passwords and
> authentication after upgrading to -STABLE a few weeks ago?
>
> After upgrading, and modifying a userPassword attribute, I'm getting
> garbage back from the userPassword value, and I cannot bind to the
> server as these users (although I can bind as the rootdn, which I
> suspect is because I specify the rootdn's password in slapd.conf).
>
> Normally, using ldapsearch, the userPassword values look like:
>
> userPassword: {crypt}$1$C8ZLaata$AoZs/vKQuTma0Kquep5UH
>
> but now they look like:
>
> userPassword:: e2NyeXB0fSQxJE1PTjlsR0VxJDh3d1FEaW5tT1F5lWJKcFIwOW4yOS8=
>
> Note the double colon "::" and the bizzare looking value.

The double-colon bit indicates that OpenLDAP encoded the attribute value as
base-64.  If you base-64 decode that value "e2Nye...." you'll get back
something more like what you were expecting:

    {crypt}$1$MON9lGEq$8wwQDinmOQy\x95bJpR09n29/

Not sure why you can't bind as a user, but that's almost certainly an
OpenLDAP issue, and nothing to do with your FreeBSD update.

	Barry