Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:35:04 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 16:13:31 -0200, Gustavo V G C Rios wrote:
> I have some questions for you wizards, i would appreciate any help from
> you.
>
> 1)
>
> I am trying to figure out which hardware runs well on freebsd, but i got
> confused about two references:
>
> Quoting from the following url:
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.4R/notes.html
>
> i see:
>
> "Adaptec 274X/284X/2920C/294x/2950/3940/3950 (Narrow/Wide/Twin) series
> EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI controllers."
>
> But in /sys/i386/conf/LINT, i got no reference showing me that my system
> support 3950U2W.

I suppose LINT is out of date in that respect.  The best place to look to
see if something is supported is in the actual driver.  In this case it
would be src/sys/pci/ahc_pci.c.  (That's the PCI attach code for the ahc
driver.)

> The only reference line, points me:
>
> # The `ahc' device provides support for the Adaptec 29/3940(U)(W)
> # and motherboard based AIC7870/AIC7880 adapters.
>
> So, which kernel device(s)/options should i enable to use adaptec
> 3950U2W

You should use the 'ahc' device for support for the 3950U2W.

> 2)
>
> Does any body here use 3960U2W ? Does it runs well?
> Which hard disks delivers 160Mb/s on U2 interface?

Adaptec's web page doesn't mention a 3960U2W, although it does mention a
39160 card.

In any case, none of the Adaptec Ultra160 boards are supported by 3.4.
They are currently only supported in FreeBSD-current, although I expect
that support will be merged into -stable before too long.  Also, at the
moment, the Ultra160 boards will only run at Ultra2 speeds.  That should
also change before too long.

> 3)
> If adaptec 3950U2W is not supported by FreeBSD 3.4Stable, i am
> considering using 2940U2W.

Both the 3950U2W and 2940U2W are supported in 3.4, and 3.4-stable.

> I would like to hear from you, what options on hard disk i have (Ones
> that delivers 80MB/s) and how success you have gotten using them.

If you're looking for disks, I would recommend high end IBM and Seagate
drives.  i.e., the Seagate Barracuda and Cheetah drives, and IBM Ultrastar
drives.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry