Date:      24 Feb 1995 18:05:49 GMT
From:      lim@telerobotics.jpl.nasa.gov (David Lim)
Subject:   [SUMMARY] Re: [Q] FreeBSD 2.0R - fdisk is non-destructive?

The answer is FreeBSD fdisk and DOS fdisk is destructive. If you have an
existing DOS slice on a drive that you want to repartition to allocate space
for a different OS (e.g.  FreeBSD), running DOS fdisk on the partition is
destructive. This means you should:

- back up your DOS slice
- boot off a floppy
- run fdisk
  - delete the slice
  - create the new slices with the correct sizes
- format the DOS slice
- restore your data onto the DOS slice
- proceed to installing FreeBSD on the 2nd slice

I found the section on repartitioning in the Linux Installation-HOWTO document
to be helpful. Combining this information with the FreeBSD diskspace.FAQ,
gives you a good overview of PC slices.

There are programs (fips) that non-destructively repartition your slices. The
Linux document refers to the use of fips. I see that fips is now in:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.0-RELEASE/tools/dos-tools/fips.exe
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/dos-tools/fips11.zip

The fips.exe executable appears to be identical to the one in the fips11.zip
archive. I don't believe I have fips on my Walnut Creek FreeBSD 2.0 CD-ROM
(Jan 1995). I'll have to double check. Either way, fips still strong
recommends that you back up your data before using it.

terry@cs.weber.edu tells me there is a program called "parted". I did not
attempt to locate this utility.

Aside: Backing up your DOS slice
- To be safe I backed up my DOS slice in two ways before doing fdisk:
  - using the MWBACKUP utility in Windows (I have Windows for Workgroups 3.11)
    to back up the data to a second drive.
  - using XCOPY (I have MS-DOS 6.22) to backup the data to a second drive. I
    then searched for all hidden files (since XCOPY does not copy hidden
    files). I found that the only hidden files that existed where in the root
    directory.
- When I came to restore my data, I first tried the xcopy backup. I was able
  to boot and run DOS, but Windows hung. It started up showing the banner
  screen, then hung.
- I then re-installed generic Windows and run MWBACKUP and was able to restore
  all my data.
- It is curious that xcopy was not able to restore my data.

Thanks to:
Alex Bachin <bachin@garant.msu.ru>
krnlhkr@mcs.com (Louis J. Giliberto, Jr.)
terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)