Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:58:18 +0100
From:      Gianmarco <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mldonkey & user ppp : security problem ?

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 07:50, Gianmarco wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have a strange problem, which is summarize in the subj.
>
> I am trying to use mldonkey-core program on a box 4.9-RC (soon 4.9-stable)
> which is my adsl gateway with user PPP and PPPoE.

Now it is 4.9-STABLE ...

> It is an Epia 5000 (533 mhz) and I have used both the nic (rl0 and vr0) on
> the PPP interface without any differences for the problem solving.
>
> After a while (~10minutes) mldonkey runs, it freeze my ppp connection,
> exausting all the mbufs on the tun0 interface, I presume, and so I am
> unable to have the ppp session continue. The only way to start again is to
> kill the process and then restart.

I have not solved the problem yet, but I think this should be noted (and=20
hopefully fixed :-) by the security officer because with the default config=
=20
it installed/created it can be used to create a DOS with a normal user=20
access.

My user PPP, even if I tried to reduce the number of connections, add=20
options NMBCLUSTERS=3D16384=20
to my kernel continues to fails after a period depending on the number of=20
connections and the file shared you have ...

Any idea/tips ?

=2D-=20

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli , =A0"Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.gufi.org/~gmarco