Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:50:12 -0800
From:      Mark Peek <mark@peek.org>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster niggle

At 11:34 AM -0700 2/6/02, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>  >>>>> "David" == David W Chapman <dwcjr@inethouston.net> writes:
>
>     David> mergemaster only checks to see if RCSID's are different by
>     David> default, I forget which option, but there is one to actually
>     David> diff the two files when doing its inital compare, but the
>     David> RCSID's would be different so I'm not sure it would help you.
>
>The real question here is: why is the RCSid changing when the file
>isn't?
>
>While it's not the end of the world, dealing with these noop merges gets
>annoying when you're updating large numbers of machines. If there's a
>simple fix to the problem (at the source), let's work on it.

I've seen this problem in the past. It occurs when you cvsup the
repository down to a local copy contained within another CVSROOT. The
$FreeBSD$ tags don't get expanded during checkout and will contain
the previous revision tag. I believe the file to check is the
CVSROOT/options file from the FreeBSD tree.

Mark