Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 07:14:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha sgmap.c busdma_machdep.c       src/sys/alpha/conf GENERIC files.alpha src/sys/alpha/include

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Doug Rabson wrote...
> > With this change, people with CIA based machines (164lx, 164sx, AS600,
> > Miata and quite a few others) can now use their floppy drives. Just add
> > these lines to your config file:
> >
> > controller	fdc0	at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
> > disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
> >
> > The relavent changes to the other chipsets will happen as soon as possible
> > after Usenix. Also after Usenix I hope to be able to commit an updated pcm
> > driver which works on the alpha (well it works with my SB AWE64 card
> > anyway).
>
> Excellent!  I've got a 433au, and it seems to at least probe here:
> (I'm not at the console, so I can't try it out)
>
> fdc0: interrupting at ISA irq 6
> fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
> fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
> fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> at fdc0 drive 0
>
> And the ATAPI stuff sees the CDROM drive as well:
>
> ata-pci0: <Unknown PCI IDE controller> irq 1 at device 4.0 on pci0
> ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
> ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
> ata0: unwanted interrupt 1 status = ff
> acd0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5702B/3476> CDROM drive at ata0 as master
> acd0: drive speed 2067KB/sec, 256KB cache
> acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA
> acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
> acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
> acd0: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked
>
> Once the sound code gets working, I think that'll be most all of the
> hardware on the box.  I'll have to see if I can get X running on the
> thing...

I'm confident that I can get the built-in sound on the 433au working now.
I have the docs for the ES1888 chip and I now understand the bizarre
sequence of inbs which Linux uses to enable the chip. Our PCM driver
already has support for this family of sound chips.

The last missing piece should be the parallel port but that ought to be
easy to port.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com