Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 01:13:10 -0400
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        smpatel@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   possible 4th option? [Re: kern/1102]

I was looking through your discussion on the difficulties of
differentiating a Linux ELF binary from a FreeBSD ELF binary.  The 2nd
option you mention is the one in which you would use currently unused
bytes in the ELF e_ident tag.  What you proposed for this method of
distinguishing the two different systems' binaries was to modify each
Linux executable so that it has an identification byte in it.  Since at
this point we only (am I wrong here?) support Linux and FreeBSD ELF
binaries, wouldn't it be sufficient to have our ELF binary generation
utilities put an identifier for FreeBSD into the ELF binary as mentioned
above, and if that is detected, use the FreeBSD sysvec set, otherwise
assume the Linux sysvec set?

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead