Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:01:47 -0800
From:      Rick Jones <rick_jones2@hp.com>
To:        ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: initial netperf tests on rx2600

> I think you want the kern.cp_time sysctl.
>
> Look at sys/dkstat.h (or sys/resource.h if your source is new enough).
> And see the sysctl(3) man page.

Looks like sys/resource.h will define the structure if I do a -D_KERNEL.
I may "cheat" and copy the structure def into my own code. (btw, what
predefine by the comiler should I be useing for FreeBSD? while I am at
it I _may_ try to add BSD sendfile support for the TCP_SENDFILE test)

the sysctl(3) manpage doesn't mention cp_time as being part of the
CTL_KERN set - probably a manpage oversight?

> This provides a whole-system measurement, as taken from the kernel's
> statclock routine.  I hacked an older version of netperf to use this
> on an older version of freebsd (where I had to grovel in /dev/kmem).

eeeew, /dev/kmem :)  I try to avoid that now :)

> PS: I work for Myricom now.  I have the (empty) bag of Famous Amos
> cookies you gave Feldy for the first netperf submission hanging in an
> honored spot in my office.

ah yes, the cookies - I'll have to get back to sending those out one of
these days - probably after I manage to revamp the www.netperf.org site
- which probably won't happen until my tribute to the second system
effect and mythical manmonth - netperf4 - is ready :)

rick
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...