Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 95 10:28:24 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Domain name

> Sometime I see that when I connect to a ftp- or www-server. The machine name
> is expanded (normally www. or ftp. is added). How is that done??
>
> I have a few definitons:
> www.jcn.nl
> ftp.jcn.nl
> mail.jcn.nl
>
> But the problem is that I want requests like http://jcn.nl translated to
> http://www.jcn.nl.
> This is escacialy important for the e-mail. How can I expand wilfredd@jcn.nl
> to wilfredd@mail.jcn.nl automaticly. Or is there another way how I can tell
> sendmail (running on 193.78.175.1, mail.jcn.nl) to retrieve the mail to
> ....@jcn.nl????. The SLIP-gateway is the same machine (host.jcn.nl,
> 193.78.175.1)

The auto-expansion is a result of the cannonical name being looked up
by the program -- basically, it's a feature of your browser.  For the
NetScape browser (about the only thing I use), you can actually defeat
this by appending a trailing slash to the URL (learn something new
every day).

For mail, it depends on where you want it done, what your transport is,
etc.; it sounds like you want outgoing proxy and incoming MX referral.

Typically, mail is handled by sendmail, and typically sendmail is
configured to understand DNS MX (Mail eXchanger) records, and they do
address referral.

It sounds like you need to get the O'Reilly sendmail and DNS books and
read them before going further.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---