Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:40:31 +0400
From:      Kirill Nosov <slash@leontief.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: securelevel descr

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Frank Tobin wrote:

>I was talking over something with friends today, and we were trying to
>come with ideas for securelevels that would disable as much meaning out
>of being root, to limit the spread of being root if a box is 'rooted'.
>Specifically, we came to the conclusions that with most of /etc, /usr
>(with the notable exceptions of /etc/passwd, catman, /usr/local) could be
>chflagged simmutable, and a securelevel of 3 could really strengthen a
>box.  Of course, one additional thing that no secure level does that would
>be _really_ nice is that it would prevent more secure ports from being
>opened.

As far as i remeber there was a discussion about implementing the dependence
between uid and port you are able to open - to eliminate the 'priveleged ports'
concept. That was a great idea from my point of view.  If it will be
iimplemented in future FreeBSD versions ? As far as i see it is possible to be
done w/o any changes in '3rd party software' , just by means of FreeBSD core.

---
... I want to perform cranial activities with Tuesday Weld!!

/Slash.