Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 06:10:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/42750: Fdisk makes no difference between FAT32, XFS or Ext3

The following reply was made to PR i386/42750; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To: Danail Yordanov <d_j@vip.bg>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:04:18 +0300

  Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:01:22, d_j (Danail Yordanov) wrote about "i386/42750: Fdisk makes no difference between FAT32, XFS or Ext3":

 DY> When starting an installation on the machine containing FAT32(no OS there - only a partition for data) and XFS (with Linux) both are shown as one, called "Extended", type 15. I have reinstalled the Linux on the Ext3, but there was the same problem. Then I have decided to delete the Linux and installed FreeBSD. Then I have tried to mount the slice with FAT32 with the following command:

 You are wrong. You don't understand structure of BIOS/MSDOS partition tables.
 FreeBSD's fdisk shows only extended partition, as one of the primary
 partitions, but not logical partitions which are placed in this extended
 partition.
 Type 15 is "LBA extended", not ext3, XFS or another.

 You should study partition table structure if you want discover or develop
 something in this area. If you want see FreeBSD fdisk to understand
 logical partitions in extended partition, this wish is reasonable,
 but it has nothing common with your PR synopsis.

 /netch