Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:33:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Andrews <mandrews@termfrost.org>
To:        Robert Ricci <rricci@theonlynet.com>
Cc:        freebsd@bug.fe.up.pt, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modems for dial-ins...

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Robert Ricci wrote:

> We had very bad luck with using US Robotics modems for dial-in: They
> failed
> quite often under a load.  Motorolas gave us much better reliability.

Sportsters or Couriers?  Sportsters just aren't built to handle massive
dial-in.  We used to have a bunch of them and unless you have them VERY
well ventilated, you will have problems.  (We had a, uh, unique shelving
system to keep them separated for ventilation...)  Couriers will handle it
much better.  That's why they cost more.  We ended up getting Total
Control racks anyway so we could run x2.

Mike Andrews/MA12/ICQ 6602506  this chromosome intentionally left blank
mandrews@dcr.net -- mandrews@termfrost.org -- http://www.termfrost.org/
Senior Systems & Network Administrator, Digital Crescent, Frankfort, KY
Providing x2 Internet Access in Franklin, Anderson, and Shelby Counties