Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 2009 19:37:02 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>, Dennis Chikin <ornoph@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: PATA disks/DVD not detected on ATI IXP 700 - cannot boot (dmesg attached)

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 03:19 am, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> > On Monday 28 September 2009 02:21 pm, Alexander Motin wrote:
> >> PS: I have tried to disable all that ATI-specific code and found
> >> that both legacy PCI ATA and AHCI drivers looks like working
> >> fine with IXP700. Do we really need AHCI forcing for IXP700?
> >
> > It enables all six SATA ports as SATA and one PATA channel as
> > PATA in the combined mode by forcing the mode.  It is not
> > absolutely necessary but it is better than without it, IMHO. :-)
>
> As I have told, with or without this patch I am any way receiving 4
> AHCI channels + 2 PATA + 2 legacy SATA if IDE mode set in BIOS. If
> I enable AHCI mode in BIOS I am receiving 6 AHCI + 2 PATA channels.
> Looks like Dennis has the same. So 1) I don't see any effect of
> this hack on my system, at least with HEAD (is it working?), and 2)
> if we are doing all this magic and force AHCI mode for second
> controller, IMHO it would be reasonable to enable real AHCI mode to
> get all 6 SATA channels there.

What's puzzling me whole day is that the hack worked for me at the
time (I swear!) but now it doesn't. :-( Originally I thought forcing
AHCI mode clears combined mode but it doesn't work any more.  I even
tried clearing combined mode at SMB controller but it didn't work,
either.  It is possible that newer ACPICA with "executable at module
level" feature did something because its (broken) DSDT reconfigures
SATA controller at module level if it is in "native" or "legacy" IDE
mode.

I'll try something again tomorrow and let you know.

Jung-uk Kim