Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:36:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Dale Hagglund <rdh@best.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: when is it safe to use the 0xa0ffa0ff disk flags?

On 17 Dec 1999, Dale Hagglund wrote:

>"Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx> writes:
>
>> Are you refering to the "0xa0ffa0ff" flags???, this flags are for
>> improve performance by enabling DMA use, enable the multi-sector I/O
>> and the 32BIT I/O modes to IDE Disks.
>
>How does one know if it's safe to apply those those particular flags
>to one's system?  If they'll speed up disk activity, I'm all in favour
>of them, but I don't want to trash my disks by mistake.

Well, i just tried them, and they worked.  Basically, the controller
either recognizes and enables the feature or it ignores them.  The only
one i'm not going to mess with is LBA.

Question for everyone else: when the probe is done and shows

wd0: Brand X: xx.x Gig flags DMA, 32-bit, wake-up ... etc

On those extra options turned on by the flags, does the probe only list
them if the WORKED, or does it just list every option SELECTED in the
flags, whether they work during the probe or not?

 -jm