Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:15:20 -0700
From:      Matt Simerson <matt@corp.spry.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS patches

It's still a bit too early for me to make any announcement about ZFS
and stability on HEAD but I was having deadlocks on 7.0 every other
day under my workload. I took the plunge and upgraded both my servers
(which are now in production, BTW) to HEAD.  I have one running HEAD
without the latest patches and one with HEAD + patch and have not
experienced a deadlock since the upgrade.

FreeBSD back01.int.spry.com 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Fri
Aug 15 16:42:36 PDT 2008     root@back01.int.spry.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/
sys/BACK01  amd64

FreeBSD back02.int.spry.com 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #1: Wed
Aug 13 13:57:19 PDT 2008     root@back02.int.spry.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/
sys/BACK02-HEAD  amd64

It turns out that I disliked the known instability of ZFS and 7-STABLE
than the unknown risks associated with HEAD. As always, YMMMV but
since ZFS is still experimental, odds are good you'll have a better
experience if you are willing to upgrade to -HEAD.

Matt

$ cat /boot/loader.conf
vm.kmem_size="1536M"
vm.kmem_size_max="1536M"