Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:48:19 -0400
From:      Jubal Kessler <jubal-freebsd-20090321@cheeze.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw, pf and ALTQ on outbound traffic? (or: "The net is slow when I upload!")

Greetings,

Is there a general how-to, or a set of coherent instructions, for
shaping outbound traffic such that when I upload something over my
asymmetric cable-modem pipe, doing so doesn't completely kill my Web
browsing or any other attempts to use my Internet connection?

(To put it another way: When I max out my upstream, and my upstream is
capped lower than my downstream, my downstream becomes useless and I am
forced to wait until the upload finishes before I can resume using the
downstream. This is a problem, and I'd like to solve it.)

I have looked at various ALTQ + pf setups on the Web, but I have one
caveat. I use FreeBSD 6.4 on my home gateway, and it is also using the
default natd server, which relies on an ipfw divert rule. I don't know
if this matters, or if I need to switch from natd to a pf-based NAT setup.

Should I use *just* ipfw, or should I switch everything to pf (including
NAT services) and go from there?

Thanks much,

Jubal