Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:24:10 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Brian Dean <brdean@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't install on machine with 8 Meg

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 01:08:00PM -0400, Brian Dean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing 4.0-19990610-SNAP onto a machine with 8 Meg of memory
> and it fails as follows:
>
> 	pid 6 (sh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

There's a rumour going around that you need 12 meg to install.  Why, I
don't know.

> The handbook claims that you can run the system in as little as 4 meg.
> It is very misleading to claim this if you can't install it.  Or maybe

I think that the handbook (or the installation instructions) also
state that you need either 5meg or 8meg to install.  Somebody filed a
bugreport that you actually need 12 meg to install these days.
Anyways, since you're the second (at least) person to say that 8meg wasn't
enough, the instructions probably should be changed.

It is true that you can run a system with as little as 4 meg.  I've
installed 2.2 on a system with 4 meg (it was one of the ones that had
a cool motherboard and needed 4 meg instead of 5).  Joerg claims he
used to run FreeBSD on a system with only 2 meg.  You can't use the
GENERIC installation kernel to run on these low-memory machines,
though.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.