Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:45:00 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        sbirdy <sbirdy@netvigator.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail problem with DNS & mail server in same machine

sbirdy wrote:

> Dear sir,
>      I intened to build small lan connected to internet with a dns
> server also serve as email.after setup, everything is ok except when
> sendmail.e.g  when I send mail with  "user@domain.name. error display
> somethings like "error 544: mx point back to ns1.test.com. unknown
> host "test.com".

	I suspect that you are really looking at two seperate errors. First,
make sure that you have set up your sendmail to receive mail from all
the hostnames that you want it to. You should have entries that look
like this in your sendmail.cf file, or the appropriate hostnames in your
sendmail.cw file if you use that instead:

Cwtest.com
Cwns1.test.com

etc.

	BTW, DON'T use test.com, it's a real domain. Once you get your box
connected to the internet having entries like this lying about can be a
problem. I don't have the RFC with the "safe" test names handy, but I
think that example.com should be safe.

	The second problem is that you don't have an A record for your test.com
domain. This is a problem sometimes.

> but,if I send to addr. user@hostname.domainname.
> everything become fine. this is my /etc/namedb/db.test.com file,
> ( BIND ver 4.9.6 in freebsd 2.2.5)
>
> @   IN SOA ns1.test.com. billy.ns1.test.com. (
>                        980528  ; Serial
>                        10800 ; Refresh after 3 hours
>                        3600 ; Retry after 1 hour
>                        604800 ; Expire after 1 week
>                        86400 ) ; Minimum TTL of 1 day
>
>                       IN NS ns1.test.com.
>                       IN MX 0 ns1.test.com.

	Don't use 0 as the priority for an MX record, it hoses some MTA's. Use
1 instead.

Add the following:

			IN A 127.0.0.1
ns1			IN A 127.0.0.1

	That should fix you up, unless something else is broken.

Good luck,

Doug