Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 2009 23:31:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@gmail.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interrupt Descriptions

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Rui Paulo wrote:

> On 1 Oct 2009, at 01:02, Bruce Evans wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>>> A few folks have asked recently for the ability to add descriptive strings
>>> registered interrupt handlers.  This is especially true since the advent
>>> of
>>> MSI with multiple interrupts per device.  I hacked up a prototype today
>>> that
>>
>> Interrupt names should be no longer than 4 (5 works sometimes) characters
>> so
>> that they can be displayed by systat -v.

Make that: "Interrupt names must must contain only characters that
take 1 space to print, and must be no longer than 10 characters, or
unique and without garbage when blindly truncated to 10 characters,
or in a special form that can easily be understood and compressed to
<= 10 characters.  The special forms are..."

Similarly for device names (max length 4 or 5) and sleep message strings
(max length 6).

> We should just change systat, IMHO, but I know it's not easy.

It's impossible to make changes that increase display resource requirements
without breaking something.  Either small displays stop working or scrolling
is required.

Bruce