Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:25:20 +0200
From:      Norbert Meissner <norbert.meissner@daimlerchrysler.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vinum: strange behaviour and other things

Hi all,

last weekend i've tried vinum on 3.3 release and  some (from my point of view) strange things
happened.

1. When I create a mirror volume a lot of error messages appeared about that one plex is faulty.
Init the plexes doesn't help, but when I "start" the plexes they will go in the "up" state. Is it possible
to include this command in the "create"-process?

2. I was not able to make a dump from a vinum volume (raid5, mirror and stripe tested).  In the worst
case (raid5) the whole system freezes! Only the reset button shows effect. In the other cases dump aborts
with the message "bad magic number in sblock". I think that this is a problem with dump and the way it
acesses the disk. Some people will surely tell me to use tar or cpio (btw., these work!) but I like dump
and I find it much more flexible and safer than the others.

3. I'm missing documentation how to integrate a new disk in a vinum volume for the case that one disk
has failures. I built a mirrored volume, then booted dos and deleted the partition info from one of the disks.
My data was after this accessible, I could write new data on the remaining disk but I wasn't able to
'reintegrate' the disk with no partition info in the mirrored volume. I tried to do this with reconfiguring the
partition and disklabel info. The next thing I saw is that the drive was gone out of the vinum configuration
( the line shows: "drive d1 device"). A create solved this. The volume was up, but the plex was flaky, a
"start mirror.p0" showed no effect, "start mirror.p0.s0" states that it is busy.  The same procedure on a
raid5  volume shows that the volume is degraded, the data is still accessible but I didn' manage it to
reintegrate the disk. At this point I see for the case of a disk failure the only solution to back up all data
with tar, change the broken hd and restore. Or, maybe, I'm wrong....

N. Meissner

Mercedes-Benz Stra?e 137
HPC G322
70546 Stuttgart