Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:04:40 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it> types:
> > gives sufficient information to calculate the neutron numbers,
> > and therefore the critical mass, for any radioactive material
> > that is capable of fission.
>
> Obscurantism is NO solution.  Talebans anyone?
>
> "Dangerous" technologies, that is, the precise details of how to _work_ eg
> plutonium to make a bomb out of it, *should* be kept secret.  Alas, this is
> not always possible, but they should.

All the technological information required to build an atomic bomb
were publicly available back in the '70s.  A Princeton student did a
research paper for Dr. Gerard K. O'Neil - better known as a designer
and proponent of O'Neil colonies - at that time. The student wrote a
book entitled "The Mushroom Kid", or something like that. Probably out
of print.

> > The way we control such things is to control the availability
> > of the critical raw materials very, very carefully.  One of
> > the reasons we have been so careful to court Pakistan and
> > Uzbekistan must be that they are Afghanistan's neighbors, and
> > are both members of "the nuclear club".

The process for creating the critical raw materials is also publicly
available. Staging a raid on a nuclear plant to obtain them is either
less expensive - if you build a proper lab - or less dangerous - if
you don't build a proper lab.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.