Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:10:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Keyes, Randall" <randall.keyes@jnli.com>
Subject:   Re: I need to learn UNIX --- Free BSD or Linux?

[crossposts snipped to avoid the inevitable advocacy wars]

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Abraham T. Rooter wrote:

>     From: Keyes, Randall <randall.keyes@jnli.com>
>     To: 'questions@FreeBSD.org' <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>; 'feedback@linux.com' <feedback@linux.com>
>     Date: Thursday, January 11, 2001 11:50 AM
>     Subject: I need to learn UNIX --- Free BSD or Linux?
>

>     Greetings!
>
>     I need to learn UNIX for my employer.  I intend to do this at
>     home.  I have an 18-gig hard drive that I intend to install
>     Windows 2000 server on as the primary OS.  I would also like to
>     dual boot with either Linux or FreeBSD to learn UNIX.
>
>     Questions:
>     1.  In reality, which OS is closer to AIX/Solaris/other System V
>     in administration commands?

AIX pretty much does its own thing. If you want to learn Solaris, then
you might consider (trying) to install Intel Solaris - which, from a
user's point of view, is pretty much identical with Sparc Solaris.
Whether you'll get that to coexist with W2K-server is anyone's guess.

When it comes down to it, Unix is Unix*; the differences are most
apparent generally when doing sysadmin but you also spot the
similarities pretty quickly too. Any unixalike that you use is going to
help (all practise is good).

>     2.  Will your OS dual-boot with W2K Server?

Yes; check the mailing list archives for details.

jan

* unless it's AIX, which is MVS with a Unix process model :-)

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Semantic rules, OK?