Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:25:45 -0500
From:      rafege@mail.com (G.E. Rafe)
To:        lists@niamodnikufesin.de
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: coldsync-2.2.5 w/Palm m130 via USB ?

!> but no other activity is seen (ugen was removed from the kernel) --
!
!Sorry forgot this one again in my last message. Removing ugen from the
!kernel is important because otherwise it will grep the device the
!first time you try to sync.
!
!> while both ucom & uvisor kernel modules were loaded previously.
!
!You don't get any hint of the device attach in syslog?
None!

!> Now then, my 4.7-R upgrade has been less than smooth with broken
![...]
!> Must be a bunch of magic I'm missing this time around !

Our encounter with 4.7-R will have been brief so far:

For whatever reason, the ucom & uvisor devices just weren't working
with the Palm USB cradle on the Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600.
Since we don't have anything on the serial port at the moment,
we'll stick a serial cradle on the system until this matures
some more.

We also encountered a kernel panic following an APM resume.
Granted, this could be a rare event, but 4.6-R just hasn't done
that (sure, it's crashed on us, but only after we did something
especially nasty to cause such a failure).

Certain library compatibility issues with the linux_base-7.1 package
were a problem, as well, which broke some Linux applications.

So we "downgraded" back to the very stable (IMO) 4.6-R system
and will wait to see what happens when 4.8-R rolls out.
--
Gary E. RAFE, PhD
grafe@eng.utoledo.edu