Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:46:42 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@lucky.net>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: original interface name? (5.*)

 Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 21:30:11, max wrote about "Re: original interface name? (5.*)":

>> Hi,
>> is there a stable way to determine original interface name (before
>> any renaming) in 5.3? I.e. as driver + sequence number?
> From inside the kernel you can use ifnet.if_dname + ifnet.if_dunit, from the
> userland I don't know if it's possible to get a look at those fields.
> In any way, I suggest not to do that. ifnet.if_xname is supposed to be *the*
> name of the interface. There is no such thing as "original name".
Having driver name one can determine essential capabilities of the interface,
including VLAN support, possibility and allowed style of media specification,
etc.
Device number among with driver name are enough to determine needed
information based on driver information and boot logs.
It is pointless to use interface without such information, and it is pointless
to do manual logging as the only source.

> In any way, I suggest not to do that.

What about good old principle "Tools, not policy"?

-netch-