Date:      Mon, 18 May 98 12:11:52 -0400
From:      Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn_mark@dpt.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT storage manager

In article <894885411.0013755.0@office.demon.net>, you wrote:
> Having noticed the beta version of the DPT storage management software
>for BSDI is infact the SCO binary running under emulation. I was wondering if
>anyone had tried to get this working under FreeBSD?

The underlying tools (passthrough, dpteng and dptelog) are native
ports though.

There are some individuals working on various aspects of a port of
Storage Manager tools to FreeBSD. No one is currently working in
the actual Storage Manager port, just the underlying tools. Once
the underlying tools is completed and tested, there is a *possibility*
that the SCO Motif and Curses storage managers will function under
FreeBSD *only* if the SCO emulation is as reliable as the BSDi SCO
emulation. We can only cross our fingers (As I did when we produced
the BSDi version).

For instance, there are many bugs in the BSD/OS 2.1 release
of Storage Manager as a direct result of the SCO emulation problems.

DPT has a desire to create native ports for BSDi and FreeBSD of
the Storage Manager application, but currently no resources have
been assigned to the task.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn