Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 12:06:56 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Alex G. Bulushev" <bag@sinbin.demos.su>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, sepotvin@videotron.ca, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

THis is the single best argument I've heard for allowing
devfs type nodes on a normal fs. :-)

certainly DEVFS makes the case of providing devices to chroot
environments a lot more 'heavyweight'

A number of things to note about this:
1/ There is a suggestion that  there be a mount option that simply
mounts an EMPTY devfs, which would then be populatable using some
form of mknod (which uses the name to create the device and not the
major/minor)

2/ one would need to do this on each reboot or login..
alternatively a single master might exist and be referenced by
a nullfs mount, unless they all wanted different devices.
(e.g just their own tty device)

I agonised over this when trying to figure out a way of making
dynamic devices. I eventually came to the conclusion that
leaving devices around across reboots wa more of a security
risk than recreating them to a known state on boot or when required.

My guess is that each VM (virtual machine?) would either have it's
devices added as it is entered by a user, (or at least checked)
or at reboot time by some custom scripts
(You must be doing this with custom scripts anyway.)

The two missing pieces are:
1/ the ability to mount an empty devfs
2/ the ability to create a single node in it (the reason for
this discussion)

a workaround for the moment would be to mount a full one, and mv
the devices you need to .hold, rm -rf everything else,
and mv them back.

julian

Alex G. Bulushev wrote:

> > On Sat, May 30, 1998 at 05:02:14PM -0400, Stephane E. Potvin wrote:
> > > Maybe this will seems a stupid question but why in the first place would
> > > someone want to delete a device from a devfs /dev? Or put differently why is
> > > not devfs append-only so someone would be able to make new links but not able
> > > to delete existing devices?
> >
> > For use in a chroot()'ed environment.
>
> there are several problems with dev's in a chroot'ed enviroment,
> for example a real system (we use it):
> 1. about 500 chroot'ed "virtual mashines", the /dev containes only
>    necessary devices (tty??) for each VM (created by mknod when VM created)
> 2. users fs (on main server) with VM (end /dev for each VM) mounted via nfs
>    on several hosts where users realy work (chroot on nfs)
> 3. each VM can created or deleted while system working on main server
>
> and what about future of this scheme with new devfs ideas?
> mount devfs for each VM on main server and hosts where users work?
> and unmount devfs on each host before VM deleted?
what do you mean 'server' and what do you mean by
"hosts where users work"?

julian