Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:17:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   softupdates and sync

Question,
	If I remove a huge directory with on a volume that has soft
updates enabled, then my df avail stat doesn't change (although the
rm happens very very fast).  So, I type sync, and there isn't much
disk activity and the df stat is still the same.  So I wait a while,
no disk activity.  After 5 minutes I unmount and remount the volume.
The unmout causes a huge amount of traffic to the disk.  On remount
the missing space reappears.

	This seems odd to me, but is it normal?  Is it normal to have
lots of unwritten blocks after a sync command has been issued?  Seems,
on its surface, to be a bug to me. I can understand the df stats not updating
until the space is actually gone, but to have sync not write out all
the softupdate deferred writes seems wrong somehow.

Softly Yours,

Warner