Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2018 18:59:07 -0600
From:      David Samms <dsamms@nw-ds.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   11.2-Beta3 fails to boot: legacy mode ZFS

Hello,

Background:
-------------
System was originally installed with an 11.0 CD. At the time I tried to
get UEFI to work, but ended up booting in legacy/BIOS mode. Upgrading to
11.1 was uneventful. The system has a single SSD with full disk
encryption and ZFS. Again, nothing special, just the user selectable
install options from the 11.0 CD.

Current Failure:
After running "freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.2-BETA3" the system failed
on reboot. Disk encryption keys can be entered, boot prompt appears,
boot starts but fails at ZFS. Reboots with no info sent to the console.

Luckily, selecting kernel.old at the boot prompt works fine.

Any ideas? Need more info? What can I do to help track down the bug?

Thank you

--
David Samms