Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:06:30 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: adjkerntz (was: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/tzsetup ...)

> As =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:
>
> msdosfs?  MSDOS' idea of a timezone is broken by design (i.e., it
> doesn't have an idea about it at all).  Someone in Australia could

It have an idea: local time zone.
Win3*/Win95 have the similar idea.

> send a file with a DOS timestamp to somebody in California across the
> Internet, and the recipient will see a file that appears to be written
> ``in the future''.

It fixed in some communication packages like DOS Zmodem from Omen.
They use timezone offset variable.

> I don't see how adjkerntz should fix it.  Since DOS files don't have
> an explicit timezone, you can imply any time zone you want, so
> applying the kernel's idea (UTC) seems to be most logical.  (Note that
> this might conflict with the idea of your local DOS, but applying the

msdosfs use adjkerntz kernel variable to calculate local timezone
for DOS files, check msdosfs sources.
adjkerntz kernel variable maintained by adjkerntz uility.
I plan to run adjkerntz utility in any case, i.e. for UTC
clock too without touching RTC or kernel time but maintain adjkerntz
kernel variable only for msdosfs and similar filesystems
with local timezone.

> localtime does as well conflict with the idea of any other DOS not
> running in *your* localtime zone.)

Proper DOS/Windows software sends timezone offset of your DOS
with any file times.

> To be honest, even in cases where i run DOS every now and then, i
> simply don't care for its broken idea of a timezone.  I live with it
> running in UTC then.

Your choice. If you'll run Win95 on the same computer (like I do)
and use Internet connection to ouside world, you don't think so.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -